Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The End of Chemotherapy






Thursday, January 28, 2016 marks the end of a long, tedious journey through chemotherapy.  I began the journey in September, and still can't believe I cooked Thanksgiving dinner, decorated the house for Christmas, and rang in 2016 at midnight. Finally I can say "I'm through"! I am at the half finished part of my treatments.

As I look back, I am amazed at my determination; the strength; and the will to carry on a "normal life" as possible.  While my house wasn't as clean as usual, I carried on with the chores when I had the strength, I exercised when I was able; usually on the recumbent bike, riding the goal of 5 miles. And a couple of times near the end of chemo, I hopped on the treadmill and ran .50 mile.

I began Taxol in November. It was the chemo drug for the next 14 treatments, and much easier to tolerate. I was instructed to take Compazine (an anti-nauseous medication) one hour prior to the appointment time.  Taxol has the reputation of these side effects:  nausea, allergic reactions and can cause stomach issues.  I was given Benadryl, just in case.  The total effect of the Compazine and Benadryl, caused drowsiness and I basically slept through the treatments.

During the last month, I was shocked when I began to lose my eyebrows and eye lashes.  I was prepared for the loss of body hair, i.e. legs, arms, privates, but it never occurred that I would lose the hair around my eyes.  The hair on my scalp however, is growing. Life is good, it is what it is, the glass is half full.  My mantras.

No comments:

Post a Comment