Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Next Up Radiation




I have a few weeks of reprisal before beginning radiation.  I have been spending the days reflecting on the past few months, the struggle, the hardships and the will to win.  I recently had my follow-up appointment with the oncologist.  As she scan my medical history pertaining to the chemo treatments, she closed the file and declared I was a star.  Being a taken back, I asked why a star.  From her response I learned more about my cancer than all the research I had worked on.  10-20% f women diagnosed with breast cancer is actually diagnosed with Triple Negative.  The other 80-90% of breast cancer are estrogen, protrogen and HR4H receptive, meaning the cancer is receptive to treatment using the female hormones.  Triple Negative is not receptive to hormonal treatments and is an aggressive cancer and in some cases may reoccur.  The treatment TNBC is with stronger chemicals called AC (a combination of Adriamycin and Cytoxan ), followed by Taxol.  The doctor also mentioned a majority of patients undergoing treatment undergo hospitalization or become ill.  I seemed to sail through the treatments without a hitch, cough, fever, or cold. Well, good for me!



No comments:

Post a Comment